Support These 10 Black Owned Businesses in Charlotte this Holiday Season!
Black Friday is the most popular sales day of the year in the United States. Small Business Saturday is also a huge sales day, and Cyber Monday is the most popular day in the states for online sales. Every year during this weekend (which follows the Thanksgiving holiday), retailers generate billions of dollars in revenue from anxious customers looking for the best deals. Let's recycle our dollars this year within our community!
Here are 10 Black-owned businesses in Charlotte that you can support this year:
1. House of Africa: A unique store filled with original art, jewelry, clothing, fabric, and handmade gifts produced by artists from Africa and beyond. The House of Africa is excited to announce a new partnership with the Black Economic Empowerment System (B.E.E.S.)
2. JamVines Docs Botanicals: Growing up in the hills of Clarendon to luscious green fields, winding rivers and streams, meant “nature at its finest”. It was the love of my childhood in Sanguinetti and meeting Zhawnafi (Zyzven Naturals)who used all the ideas of her Grandmother’s herbs in St. Thomas to produce the finest, handmade, chemical-free natural products on the market. The Jamaica/Sweden connection has now given birth to “JamVines Docs Botanicals”
3. Xclusive704: This local clothing store carries urban apparel for men, women, and children that helps you stand out from the rest. 1237 Tyvola Rd, Charlotte, NC.
4. Alabaster Box Media Group: My Afrikah Hair (Middle English) Hardcover – Large Print, 2018
by Melanie L. Houston (Author), Philece Roberts (Illustrator)
Using hair as a model and a metaphor, "My Afrikah Hair" is a journey and a movement of a rich and beautiful heritage. For the young of heart and the young at heart, this book speaks to people of all ages. Embrace each page, and enjoy every watercolor and tea stain reflected throughout this collection of extraordinary art. This is a collector's item with gold foil embossed lettering on the cover and a gold ribbon marker.
5. Whitney Austin Art Gallery: Charlotte Based Artist, Gallery & Store Owner. Store is located in Carolina Place Mall on 1st level (near Belk).Store hours M-SAT(10-9) SUN(12-6).
6. Curio, Craft & Conjure: Magickal practices around the world have traditionally been segregated due to location, race, culture and beliefs. Due to this, Conjure was typically practiced and perceived in a variety of ways – based on differences.
Our tools and supplies honor African, American, Asian , European, Indigenous, Latin and Neopagan – inclusive of Christian iconography.
7. Reggae Central: Absolutely the best in Caribbean wear and accessories! The vibe is lovely and the scented oil selection is astounding! Unique designs and beautiful fashions for everyone!
8. William Wilson Clothing: After serving in the US Navy. And before becoming an award-winning celebrity clothing designer. William made history when he became the first African-American to win a championship in the history of NASCAR. He added to his resume of accomplishments by being inducted into the NC Military Veterans' Hall of Fame in 2018.
A serial entrepreneur, William has been voted “Best Custom Clothier” 8 times, “Best Men’s Suits” 3 times and “Best New Clothing Store”.
9. Dressing Rooms Interiors Studio: They pride themselves on offering an artful collection of vintage home decor and furnishings in fresh color combinations and graphic patterns mixed with ethnic pieces (African, Asian, Indian, Italian and Moroccan) for a soulful feel. Their vintage pieces are 20 years or older and hand picked for their individual character, detail, history, and unique appeal.
Inventory changes weekly. (The chiropractic business next door is owned by her husband, Daren.)
10. LaWan's Soul Food Restaurant: Now that you've done all of that shopping, we know you're hungry so go to La'Wan's Soul Food Restaurant and experience a great southern classic home-style meal!
Visit www.melaninenterprise.com to download the Melanin Enterprise mobile app and find over 400 black owned businesses in Charlotte. We make it convenient to shop black 365!